AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index AirgunAdvice.net
All airguns, All the time

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Phoogle MapPhoogle Map   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Please help us to develop!

Support Our Site
click image to see designs
Support the site by buying one of our great T-Shirts !!
They are only $24.95 plus shipping.

Choose a size:
First impressions of BSA Lightning XL .22 hunter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index -> Airgun Equipment Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonB

City, State: Northern tip of SD, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: First impressions of BSA Lightning XL .22 hunter Reply with quote

Knobs and I both ordered these rifles to find out what all the hype was about. They both arrived late last week to the east coast and left coast.

I always hesitate when the price seems too good to be true or the reviews come in from people who don't have experience with higher grade rifles as a reference point.

I wanted a lightweight 15 to 16 FPE self contained rifle (springer) without the trade-offs of being too lightweight for the FPE. A rifle I could leave down in the barn without concern for varmint shooting while working down there.

Running busy schedules last week, Keith fired his twice the first day so I fired mine four times just to make sure the first two weren't a fluke. LOL.

Over the weekend I got to shoot it quite a bit. Fun carbine. Very smooth, quiet and accurate.

Fit and finish, very good.

Weight (6.6 lbs.) and balance, excellent. A true carbine in .22.

Compact scope kept weight down to just above 7 lbs. total.

Cocking effort, approximately the same as the Webley Longbow, a bit more than the R9 due to the shorter barrel. Very similar to a Theoben Evolution.

Barrel brake open and lock up, smooth and precise. Better than Longbow.

Trigger, initial pre-travel, slight resistance, then crisp let off. Adjustable.

Firing cycle, fast and surprisingly smooth and quiet! Fires similar to some tuned rifles. This was impressive for an out of the box rifle.

Chrono, haven't had time yet and would like to wait to get a few more pellets through it. Shots fired got across the canyon reached the 65 yard zone quick enough to know it would nail squirrels and rabbits!

Built in "shroud/silencer". Rifle with end cap removed is almost as loud as a R1 .22. With end cap (no baffles supplied with rifle) quiets down to less than a R9 or Longbow. With baffles installed, subdued thud not associated with a 16 FPE airgun. This is good. The mechanics of the rifles (i.e., internal receiver noise and vibrations), very quiet.

Accuracy, I sighted in the Beeman SS2 4X AO scope on Saturday. At 60+ yards I hit a small juice can hanging from a tree seven out of ten shots. I had my elbow resting on a table with only two cups of hot java under my belt.

Packing for shipping, OK but not as good as Craig at SS's work.

I haven't purchased a factory new airgun in a few months. Knobs hasn't purchased a factory new airgun in years. He inadvertently created a contagious buying frenzy across the country amoung those who needed a valid excuse.

If you're looking for a good springer in the 16FPE range for $350 to $400+ price range, this is one to check out.

It is also available in a composite stock XL version. (Ryan)

I'm stating that this is a good springer for the money at this point and time. Like any rifle, several thousand shots later will tell the whole story.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

JB

Last edited by JonB on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Steel
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: Allen,Ok

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: xl Reply with quote

Good Report and Pics thanks for takeing the time to do so. My BSA 25cal lighting is shooting great I really like it alot. My FPS has went up with the 19gr rhino pellets to around 660 FPS after the first 250 pellets have been shot through. I also know it hits hard I have shot several birds and about a dozen Rabbits this last weekend and it stops them in their tracks with solid hits. I really like the lighting for the money cost I think it is a great value and good hunting rifle.
SP
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

City, State: Commiefornia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,
Great pics and review. I cant wait to see some shot groups with it. Your XL is sure a beauty. BTW, what kind of gun vice is that? Thanks take care.
220swift
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

City, State: Nevada County,Calif USA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B have you allready replaced the Cyclone for your hunting gun Laughing :wink:

nice look into the XL,it go's well with your collection
thank's for posting

Swift
custom parts made to order
swiftairgunparts@sbcglobal.net
JonB

City, State: Northern tip of SD, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift, good morning.

Thanks for the flowers!

No I haven't replaced the Cyclone with the XL. That Cyclone and the Falcon are my two favorite PCPs.

I didn't want to leave a PCP down at the barn along with a scuba tank. The critters seem to know that I'm down there unarmed and by the time I walk up to the house and back, there're gone. Cell phones most likely. LOL.

Wanted something lightweight, self contained and somewhat inexpensive. Never owned a BSA and wanted to find out what all the hype was about.

Like Steve Martin said in "The Jerk", "this is all I need...."

I like the part......"he hates these cans!"

Swift, have a peaceful and productive day in spite of everyone else on the planet.

JB
220swift
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

City, State: Nevada County,Calif USA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:
Swift, good morning.

Thanks for the flowers!

No I haven't replaced the Cyclone with the XL. That Cyclone and the Falcon are my two favorite PCPs.

I didn't want to leave a PCP down at the barn along with a scuba tank. The critters seem to know that I'm down there unarmed and by the time I walk up to the house and back, there're gone. Cell phones most likely. LOL.

Wanted something lightweight, self contained and somewhat inexpensive. Never owned a BSA and wanted to find out what all the hype was about.

Like Steve Martin said in "The Jerk", "this is all I need...."

I like the part......"he hates these cans!"

Swift, have a peaceful and productive day in spite of everyone else on the planet.

JB

Good to hear,I know with winter allmost gone for you down in sunny lower Ca,it just Spring er time for you again. :wink:

and I hope the batteries go dead on there cell phone's so you can post some pic's of you critter getter.doing it's job.. Smile

Swift
custom parts made to order
swiftairgunparts@sbcglobal.net
ryan.s
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: Pasadena, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Nice Pics Reply with quote

Jon - Nice pics and a good write up. I especially liked the pic of the tactical version :wink: . I actually ended up sending it back to AoA for a replacement because of a couple of blemishes on the gun. I also returned the leapers scope and bsa mounts and just got my pro air from natchezss today. I will be getting the bkl 460 along with the replacement gun. Basically I'm starting all over I guess. Should be getting my replacement soon. I definitely have the bug. I haven't even received the gun yet and already want to get another one in a .22. Anyhow I had a question about the baffles in the shroud. I tried the felt washers (3) but really didn't notice a difference. How did you go about doing this?

Thanks,
Ryan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index -> Airgun Equipment Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: