AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index AirgunAdvice.net
All airguns, All the time

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Phoogle MapPhoogle Map   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Please help us to develop!

Support Our Site
click image to see designs
Support the site by buying one of our great T-Shirts !!
They are only $24.95 plus shipping.

Choose a size:
BSA Hornet in .177cal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index -> Airgun Equipment Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamN
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

City, State: VA.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: BSA Hornet in .177cal Reply with quote

I have had the Hornet not quite a month now. When I first chrony'd the rifle it was shooting 22 fpe ( 965 fps with 10.6gr Kodiaks ) but I was getting only 18 shots on the reg. AoA suggested that I back out the adjuster screw a tad as they thought it was wasting air. I removed the screw and did another chrony string. The lack of sound with the first shot made me think I had dropped the power by a significant amount but looking at the chrony showed the rifle was still shooting in the 22 fpe range ( the same 965ish fpe with Kodiaks ). At shot 30 it was still on the reg but I had only brought 30 pellets with me as I didn't expect much improvement if any. That was a lot of wasted air with the factory adjustment.

Not long after I read a post on the yellow forum about trimming the hammer spring so the adjuster screw became a true power adjustment screw. To make a long story short, a few coils removed now the Hornet adjusts from 7 fpe to over 19. It will probably go back up to the 22fpe as there was plenty of threads left to turn the adjuster screw in more but 19fpe in a .177cal was all I wanted so I stopped there. I have it adjusted around 17.5 fpe with heavy pellets at the moment.

So far I have tried JSB Heavies, JSB Express, CPH, Beeman Kodiaks & JSB Predators. The Predators were only shot at 22 yds but were a nice little cluster and I am curious what they will do on starlings that are raiding my woodpecker feeders. With the other four types of pellets, at 44 yds I really couldn't tell a difference in accuracy ( no serious accuracy testing as I was leaning over the top of my car ). I was suprised by the performance of the JSB Express as I didn't expect much due to their light weight. The rifle doesn't seem to be pellet fussy at all.

The noise ( or lack of ) that the rifle produces is very low. I had my stepson shoot the rifle while I was standing about 30 yards away. The sound of the pellet hitting the can at 65 yds away seemed to be louder than the rifle. It has a much lower report than the shouded rifles I have owned: Three AA S400 ( Xtra, Classic and Carbine ), FX Cyclone & Logun Domin8or.

Like a retard, I have put this rifle up for sale a couple of times when I needed the $$ as I have an FX Tarantula in .177 that I am attached to. Lucky for me the buyer backed out the first time. This time I had to give my stepson some money as he was in the hospital and had gotten behind. After playing with this rifle again the afternoon I think I am going to play it smart and keep the rifle and just take the funds out of savings . I hate taking money out of savings when I have toys but after a couple of weeks I would have replaced the money and I know major regrets would have set in and I would have ended up buying another .177 Hornet.

Anyway, if you are interested in a solid built pcp with plenty of consistent shots, VERY quiet and will shoot groups that would make rimfire accuracy junkies envious, take a look at the BSA Hornet ( just not mine Laughing )

I am thinking a of buying .22cal pcp later this winter and was looking at the HW100 but might just stick with BSA and get another Hornet in .22. If it performs like the .177 I will be a happy camper.

Not a very good pic. Scope is a Simmons Pro-Air 6-18X40AO in BKL mounts

SP
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

City, State: Commiefornia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice writeup,
Another gun you should try s the Air Arms S410ERB. I was eyeing the HW100 to. But the weight, and having to remove the air-cylinder to fill it, made me change my mind.
http://airgunadvice.com/gunforum/viewtopic.php?t=1803
williamN
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not thrilled about the chrony #'s of the ERB ( or any of the S400 series ). That massive tank should give more shots at a tighter spread than it does. I think Air Arms should think of improving the valving on the S400 series. S500 series maybe?

The FX rifles with a 148cc tube gives near if not the same at a tighter spread than the AA with the 314 cc tube.

I do love the stock, handling and build quality of the AA guns, just not the valving. If the S400 series had valving equal to the FX or new BSA guns ( non regged Scorpion and ultra ) AA would probably be my favorite rifle.
SP
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

City, State: Commiefornia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William,
If you do decide on the Hw100, please post some pics when you get it. Thanks..
williamN
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP wrote:
William,
If you do decide on the Hw100, please post some pics when you get it. Thanks..

Will do.
blk822
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: Kent, Washington

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the sportsman hv ,the same as a hornet but un regulated and a .22. But VERY accurate and I get 30 full power shots. Many one holers at 30 yards and at 40 yards.

Killer-B
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

City, State: Vancouver, WA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blk822 wrote:
I have the sportsman hv ,the same as a hornet but un regulated and a .22. But VERY accurate and I get 30 full power shots. Many one holers at 30 yards and at 40 yards.

That seems like a very good shot count per fill , what is the fill pressure? and how many Ft.Lbs?

Killer-B
blk822
Marksman
Marksman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fill pressure is 3400psi and refill at 2000psi.It has a 190 cc tube. I can't wait for nicer weather to really put it through the tests. I get 30 shots per fill. And like I said very accurate. And getting like 32fpe.
blk822
Marksman
Marksman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to do some shooting today with the bsa and its shooting kodiaks and jsbs excellent and at 36 fpe. the kodiaks are better at 40 yards than the jsbs but both are shooting one hole groups, but the jsbs get a slight flier once and awhile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index -> Airgun Equipment Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: