AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index AirgunAdvice.net
All airguns, All the time

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Phoogle MapPhoogle Map   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Please help us to develop!

Support Our Site
click image to see designs
Support the site by buying one of our great T-Shirts !!
They are only $24.95 plus shipping.

Choose a size:
New Evanix Rainstorm tweeks (Long)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index -> Airgun Equipment Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exitpupil
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: Ennice, NC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: New Evanix Rainstorm tweeks (Long) Reply with quote

I decided to buy a Rainstorm to test out. I had bought and sold a Marauder, unfired, because the ergonomics and weight of it were not to my tastes. I am 5'7" and hunt in the mountains so lighter weight guns with good balance fill my stable. Almost every airgun I have bought new from $50 to $1500 had problems out of the box that needed attention and the Evanix was no exception. I like the weight, balance, and fit of the stock. The finish and grain were very good. Part of what makes this stock feel so good is a very thin wrist. Don't drop this gun!

The 10 round magazines (you get two)are robust and metal, but pellets fall out, or slide and jam the mag rotation. The magazines had a milled slot for an oring, but no oring. When I fitted an oring it did not reach the pellets. I took a Dremel with cut off disc and opened up the slots only over the chambers so that an oring would slightly protrude into the chambers ala FX magazines. Then I debured and lightly pollished the holes inside. Problem solved.

The gun is well made, fully shrouded, and quiet for the power range. The side lever works very easy and smooth. But disassembly showed easy improvements. Disassembly (before firing) revealed pellet clipping, from factory test firing I presume? I drilled out the baffles before firing my first shot. The front barrel bushing was poorly vented. Talon owners will identify with heavily venting the bushing as I did on this Rainstorm. I also stuffed green Scotchbrite pads into the rear of the shroud. Now the gun is very quiet with ping causing most of the noise. A depinger will be the next modification.
A full fill to 200 bar using Kodiak .22- 21.5 gr pellets showed velocities starting at 959 fps constantly descending to 888 fps by the 15th shot-typical Korean shot string. The hammer spring is adjustable, but full out still was on the back side of the curve. I swapped out hammer springs and with a couple adjustments got a bell curve of 30 shots with an ES of 50 FPS peaking at 905 fps or 39 FPE. Top of the curve gave 2 magazines (20 shots)with 30 fps ES. Good, not great, but typical for this power range. Accuracy was very good for a hunting rifle. The following photos show the first 10 shot group with Kodiaks at 50 yards, no wind flags and using a cheap 4X scope with no AO.

As with most of my 10 shot groups seems I let one fly, but that is real world shooting. Note no aim point as this was the first 10 shots it was several inches high. After zeroing I was pleased with the accuracy.
The two stage adjustable trigger pull after a light stoning and lube is right at 2 lbs and is crisp. I expect it to get a little better with use. The safety is recessed into the stock making it awkward to access, especially if one had gloves on.
So for a couple hours tinkering, a hammer spring, 2 orings, and a scotchbrite pad I got a very good hunting rifle.
PA had some used Rainstorms at a nice discount. I decided to buy a new one using the 10% off code. After seeing the pellets fall out of the magazines and pellet clipping the baffle I can guess why PA had the returns on their shelf.
I am pondering adding a regulator to this gun. Has anyone done that yet? I would like to hear from you if you did.
Exitpupil
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: Ennice, NC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I worked more on the tuning and was able to get 20 shots (two mags) at 40 fpe with an extreme spread of 15 fps. That will do for hunting! These guns have quality barrels too.
AASkiff
Expert
Expert

City, State: CA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good work.. that sure is a shooter.... try a stronger valve return spring to level here out even more...
1keloso1
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: Los Angeles, California

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Evanix rainstorm SB with buffalo horn bolt Reply with quote

I just bought the Evanix rainstorm SB, it should be getting to my door by Thursday of next week, this rifle does not come with barrel shroud it comes with the buffalo horn side bolt real nice looking with thumb hole stock.
dust
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: Mito, Japan & Georgetown, Texas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the writeup
Weapon of Choice
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

City, State: SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Evanix rainstorm SB with buffalo horn bolt Reply with quote

1keloso1 wrote:
I just bought the Evanix rainstorm SB, it should be getting to my door by Thursday of next week, this rifle does not come with barrel shroud it comes with the buffalo horn side bolt real nice looking with thumb hole stock.

Post some pictures and tell us how you like it when you get it.
1keloso1
Marksman
Marksman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Evanix rainstorm SB Reply with quote

I have not received my rifle yet but here is the link so you guys can see the three models, mine is the SB model they are all nice and hope you like them.
http://www.evanix.com/evanix_w/rain_storm.html
1keloso1
Marksman
Marksman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Evanix rainstorm SB and the Hill pump ? Reply with quote

Like you guys know I bought the Evanix .22 cal Rainstorm and I also bought the Hill hand pump. My question is am I going to have to use adapters to pump up my rifle or will the evanix Fill probe fit the hill pump. this is my first pcp and I hope it's a good experience for me, Dan
1keloso1
Marksman
Marksman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Rainstorm Breech seal size? Reply with quote

Does any one know the size for the evanix rainstorm breech seal, I have blown it out a few times now it has a little damage and must replaced. Thanks in advance, Dan.
1keloso1
Marksman
Marksman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rainstorm Breech seal size? Reply with quote

1keloso1 wrote:
Does any one know the size for the evanix rainstorm breech seal, I have blown it out a few times now it has a little damage and must replaced. Thanks in advance, Dan.

I got a little box of O rings from home depot, in the plumbers department and 10 come in the little box for around two dollars. The brand is Danco and the O ring numbers are : #47 , size 11/32"O.D X 7/32" I.D X 1/16.
I hope this helps any one looking for replasements breech seals, they seal great and no leaks in my gun what so ever, took a little work to get them in the breech.
Your friend in sport , Dan

Last edited by 1keloso1 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index -> Airgun Equipment Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: