AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index AirgunAdvice.net
All airguns, All the time

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Phoogle MapPhoogle Map   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Please help us to develop!

Support Our Site
click image to see designs
Support the site by buying one of our great T-Shirts !!
They are only $24.95 plus shipping.

Choose a size:
Scope Review/My Take: Lower mil-dot: BSA, Leapers, Simmons,T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index -> Airgun Equipment Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Scope Review/My Take: Lower mil-dot: BSA, Leapers, Simmons,T Reply with quote

Hello all,
Thought I would share my findings on the following “lower end” mil-dot scopes. I am not a pro tester, so this will not be a professional report. But this small report does come from one who has good vision and has the ability to distinguish between smaller details. I will also give a few comments about my findings on each scope. I will use thee simple categories: 1. Brightness 2. Clarity (focus) 3. Eye sensitivity.

Here are the scopes I tested and compared:
1) BSA Mil-dot series 6-24x40
2) BSA Platinum 6-24x44 mi-dot
3) Leaper’s Accushot 4-16x56 mil-dot
4) Simmons 44mag 6.5-20x44 mil-dot
5) Tasco Varmint 6-24x42 mil-dot (actual Tasco not Bushnell)

Brightness (on FULL power setting)
1) Simmons 44mag (best)
2) Leaper’s Accushot
3) BSA Platinum
4) BSA mil-dot series
5) Tasco Varmint (worst)

Brightness (on LOWEST power setting)
1) Simmons 44mag (best)
2) Leaper’s Accushot
3) BSA Platinum
4) BSA Mil-dot series
5) Tasco Varmint

Clarity/Focus/Sharpness (on FULL power)
1) Simmons 44mag (best)
2) BSA Platinum
3) BSA Mil-dot
4) Leaper’s Accushot
5) Tasco Varmint (worst)

Clarity/Focus/Sharpness (on LOWEST power setting)
1) Simmons 44mag (Best)
2) BSA Platinum
3) BSA Mil-dot series
4) Leaper’s Accushot
5) Tasco Varmint (worst)

Eye Sensitivity (on full power)
1) Simmons 44mag (least)
2) Tasco Varmint
3) Leaper’s Accushot
4) BSA Platinum
5) BSA mil-dot series (worst)

Eye Sensitivity (on LOWEST power)
Note: I did not bother recording because they all seem acceptable on low power

Comments:
1) BSA mil-dot 6-24x40- This scope has rubber all over it, even a rubber type paint coating. This makes it a candidate for ring marks. Dust particles all stick to it as well. It has a darker tint, showing more earth tones. But in a way it is still pleasant to look through. This may be because it does well with sharpness, but suffers from eye sensitivity and washes out while on full power. It comes in a good box, has lens cover, but has no sunshades. Not a bad scope for the price.
2) BSA Platinum mil-dot 6-24x44 – The BSA Platinum seems to be better built than the BSA Mil-dot series. It has good clarity for a lower-end scope, but color washes out too much at full magnification. It is brighter than the BSA mil-dot series, but images are not much sharper. The size of the mil-dots on both BSA scopes was good in my opinion. It came in a good solid box, with two sunshades and metal screw on lens covers. A good scope for its price.
3) Leaper’s Accushot 4-16x56 mil-dot – I have mixed feelings about this scope. It is bright, but to me the images look a little pale. It is a little eye sensitive, but not too bad. The real disappointment with me was the clarity/sharpness on full power. It just does not produce a crisp picture. On lower settings it is not that noticeable, but compared to some of the other scopes it falls a slightly behind. Let me say it is built like a tank. Very solid look and feel. I like the fine cross hairs and the size of the mil-dots. I like the accessories it came with (flip-up lens covers, sun shade, bag), and was packaged very very well. But it needs better glass. The side-wheel is a nice option. It is a good scope for the money, but honestly I expected it to be better after hearing all the hype.
4) Simmons 44mag 6.5-20x44 mil-dot – This scope was a real surprise for me. It performed much better than I expected it would. Very bright. Excellent clarity, although at full power there is slight focus issues, but not very noticeable. This scope is not very eye sensitive. I have a few complaints though. One is the size of the cross hairs and mil-dots. They are huge, and are much larger than necessary. The scope also comes in a cheap box, with only cheap lens covers as accessories. Over all, a very good scope for the money.
5) Tasco Varmint 6-24x42 mil-dot (actual Tasco not Bushnell) – Remember that this scope is from old stock and not current Bushnell production. The new scopes may be better, but I am not sure. This scope will get the job done, but the lenses are too dark and not that clear. It actually looks like it has tint on the lenses. The mil-dot size is good though. It is not very eye sensitive. This scope would likely be the last of the five I would buy.

For all those interested in purchasing any of the above scopes, I hope this will help you in some small way. To all others, thanks for reading!!
Chris
GWH craig
Killer-B Club
Killer-B Club

City, State: Easthampton Masssachusetts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted to buy the leapers scope. and although you didnt say it was amazing. its strong. and thats what i wanted to make sure before i spent the GREEN....lol i hate buying things and having them be crap..

thanks for the review.
Browning 800 Mag .22
Crosman 2289 Backpacker .22
Crosman T4 .177
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Phoogle Map
blk822
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: Kent, Washington

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jjust gote the Leapers 6-24x50 and its different then the first leapers I had . It's clearer and the illumin. knob is where the ao focus is on a 30mm scope(the side). Very nice , very clear in all mags. And I got it dirt cheap $69 new. And the knobs are numbered now and resettable to zero.
the4thshake
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

City, State: just south of washington

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two leapers scopes and they are both wonderfull. One is a 3x9x32 and the other is the 6x24x50. Abosolutely a deal for the price. I spent $40 on the 3x9 and $70 the the 6x24. They are clear and hold zero on my springer. My only complaint so far is the illumination. Nothing wrong with it but it looks cheezy IMO. I woudn't compare a leapers to a leupold but they work Darn nice for the price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map
GWH craig
Killer-B Club
Killer-B Club

City, State: Easthampton Masssachusetts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a leapers 3-12x44 illuminated mil dot. its very clear, not to heavy and looks aweosme. and as advertised thoes though scopes really hold up. minee hasnt moved or broken.

Browning 800 Mag .22
Crosman 2289 Backpacker .22
Crosman T4 .177
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Phoogle Map
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index -> Airgun Equipment Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: