My BSA Lightning XL review is up at Review Centre now

A no hype zone for posting airgun equipment reviews.

Moderators: 220swift, Killer-B, MarvC, Sentryfe

Weapon of Choice
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

My BSA Lightning XL review is up at Review Centre now

Postby Weapon of Choice » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:35 pm

My BSA Lightning XL review is up at Review Centre now.
I made a new category for the Lightning XL FAC guns because there wasn't one. They also accepted a picture of my gun to represent the FAC guns :D

Here is the link

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews117173.html

I also have review on the TDR there. I like Review Centre because it is quick & easy to find a review on almost any gun there and the reviews seem to stay up forever!

If you haven't already, upload a review there of your guns. [/url]

SP
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

Postby SP » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:21 pm

Great review Lamar. If I ever bought a springer. The XL would definetly be the one. I do have a question though. Since there are no baffles in the shroud/moderator, then whats inside then? Springs?

Steel
Marksman
Marksman

hollow

Postby Steel » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:29 pm

My new 25cal Xl lighting is hollow inside the front cap just screws right off easy to look. I shoot it without the cap and must say it is quieter with the cap in place no baffles springs or anything else in there though. The gun is quiet the spring makes more noise than the air out the muzzle.

Weapon of Choice
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Postby Weapon of Choice » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:56 pm

SP wrote:Great review Lamar. If I ever bought a springer. The XL would definetly be the one. I do have a question though. Since there are no baffles in the shroud/moderator, then whats inside then? Springs?

Thanks SP,
Like terry1, mine has nothing inside. Don't know why. AOA sells other BSA guns with baffles in the mods. Maybe because they feel it would be too easy to remove this one. It's a pretty quiet gun as it is.

rebar4
Marksman
Marksman

Postby rebar4 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:41 pm

I am assuming the barrel is not perforated and that the shroud simply encloses an otherwise stock barrel. What if you (loosely) filled the schroud with little balls from ground up b-foam (commonly referred to as styrofoam)? or schreaded foam rubber? Would that enhance the silencing effect?

rb

Weapon of Choice
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Postby Weapon of Choice » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:51 pm

rebar4 wrote:I am assuming the barrel is not perforated and that the shroud simply encloses an otherwise stock barrel. What if you (loosely) filled the schroud with little balls from ground up b-foam (commonly referred to as styrofoam)? or schreaded foam rubber? Would that enhance the silencing effect?

rb

Maybe... but the pellet might have a hard time plowing though all that crap and it would look kind of funny blowing styrofoam out the end of my barrel every shot :lol:

rebar4
Marksman
Marksman

Postby rebar4 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:19 pm

WC

I obviously need to do some more investigating. Having never actually seen a silencer and just going by the pix of the Lightning I thought that it was essentially a hollow schroud that slid over and attached to the barrel. In the pics it looks as if the end of the silencer is about even with the end of the barrel. I didn't realize that the pellet travels through the silencer itself in the same way that bullets do on rimfire silencers.

Weapon of Choice
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Postby Weapon of Choice » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:26 pm

rebar4 wrote:WC

I obviously need to do some more investigating. Having never actually seen a silencer and just going by the pix of the Lightning I thought that it was essentially a hollow schroud that slid over and attached to the barrel. In the pics it looks as if the end of the silencer is about even with the end of the barrel. I didn't realize that the pellet travels through the silencer itself in the same way that bullets do on rimfire silencers.

Ahh, I was just messing with ya :D
The barrel is only 10 inches long. The shroud extends 4.5 inches beyond the end of the barrel.

Lee Harvy Griswold
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Postby Lee Harvy Griswold » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm

Good Review Lamar, I couldn't of said it better myself,....especially when you said the rifle "begs to be shot offhand"!!!!! :D :D

Well Done,

LHG

Weapon of Choice
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Postby Weapon of Choice » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:43 am

Lee Harvy Griswold wrote:Good Review Lamar, I couldn't of said it better myself,....especially when you said the rifle "begs to be shot offhand"!!!!! :D :D

Well Done,

LHG

Thanks LHG... :D

Return to “Airgun Equipment Reviews”