BSA Ultra Carbine

A no hype zone for posting airgun equipment reviews.

Moderators: 220swift, Killer-B, MarvC, Sentryfe

r5nick

Postby r5nick » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:22 pm

Very cool, because some time ago i was thinking of opting for the multishot version its just the pumps cost so much so im going to have to go for a springer.

Johnny
Expert
Expert

Postby Johnny » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:35 pm

Dont use strirrup pumps, use a SCUBA set instead...

Better air quality and no risk of moisture that can create rust inside.

Here its easy and cheap to run PCP with SCUBA and as I understand thing, this is not the case in the US.

A bottle (8 liters, 300 Bar) is about $150 here with about $130 for the fillkit.

You can fill the bottle at every firestation for about $5-8 and you will get around 3000 shots from one fill.

The bottle is tested one time in 10 years if its made of steel, testing one is about $100.

I had mine tested in October -06 and I dont need to do that again until fall of 2016.

r5nick

Postby r5nick » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:06 pm

Cool, PCP next year i think, springer this year :)

Weapon of Choice
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Postby Weapon of Choice » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:35 pm

Great, Great review Johnny and thanks for all the pictures!
I really like the Ultra from what I have seen and would like to get one someday. I have a Lightning XL and love it so I have had a taste of BSA accuracy :D

You really bring attention to the fact that you don't need a ton of power to take small game with an air gun. I think sometimes too much power may not stop small game as well as a lower powered gun because the pellet penatrates the game before delivering much energy. I know that airguns aren't really designed to kill by energy like firearms but it does help.

I bet in your case most of the 18 fpe is being dumped on impact thus your seagulls fall over :lol: I've often watched seagulls on the beach and thought they looked like a really strong bird.

Lamar
Last edited by Weapon of Choice on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny
Expert
Expert

Postby Johnny » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:22 pm

I've often watched seagulls on the beach and thought they looked like a really strong bird.

Yeah, they do have a solid build.

One of the most common gulls are what we call trut.

I belive the US name is Herring Gull.

Its a pretty big bird and the largest target for airgunners here with a length of 24-26 inches and a wingspan around 60-70 inches.

A fullsize adult is around 1500 grams, about 3.50 lbs or half the weight of an air rifle - they do fall hard when shot.

Here it is so numerous today that it is a nuisance in some metropolitan areas and a potential hazard to aircraft near airports.

To take one of those down you will need accurate shot placement, a clean headshot is by far best but sometimes a well placed bodyshot can be very effective. I try to move close in about 30 yards and always use an accurate PCP with no less then 15 ft/lbs.

Shooting them at longer ranges, beyond 30-40 yards is rimfire territory.
I have a 10/22 and the Federal American Eagle HP works great for this task.

:twisted:

To be honest a bodyshot with a supersonic rimfire is the best way to take them down but in some angles I cant use the rimfire for safety reasons and then a PCP is the next best thing.

Are you still planning on making the San Diego shoot?

Sorry, cant do that - I live across the pond in Scandinavia, Europe.

:wink:

Return to “Airgun Equipment Reviews”