AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index AirgunAdvice.net
All airguns, All the time

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Phoogle MapPhoogle Map   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Please help us to develop!

Support Our Site
click image to see designs
Support the site by buying one of our great T-Shirts !!
They are only $24.95 plus shipping.

Choose a size:
BSA Ultra Carbine
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index -> Airgun Equipment Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r5nick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, because some time ago i was thinking of opting for the multishot version its just the pumps cost so much so im going to have to go for a springer.
Johnny
Expert
Expert

City, State: Ucklum - Sweden

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont use strirrup pumps, use a SCUBA set instead...

Better air quality and no risk of moisture that can create rust inside.

Here its easy and cheap to run PCP with SCUBA and as I understand thing, this is not the case in the US.

A bottle (8 liters, 300 Bar) is about $150 here with about $130 for the fillkit.

You can fill the bottle at every firestation for about $5-8 and you will get around 3000 shots from one fill.

The bottle is tested one time in 10 years if its made of steel, testing one is about $100.

I had mine tested in October -06 and I dont need to do that again until fall of 2016.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
r5nick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, PCP next year i think, springer this year Smile
Weapon of Choice
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

City, State: SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, Great review Johnny and thanks for all the pictures!
I really like the Ultra from what I have seen and would like to get one someday. I have a Lightning XL and love it so I have had a taste of BSA accuracy Very Happy

You really bring attention to the fact that you don't need a ton of power to take small game with an air gun. I think sometimes too much power may not stop small game as well as a lower powered gun because the pellet penatrates the game before delivering much energy. I know that airguns aren't really designed to kill by energy like firearms but it does help.

I bet in your case most of the 18 fpe is being dumped on impact thus your seagulls fall over Laughing I've often watched seagulls on the beach and thought they looked like a really strong bird.

Lamar

Last edited by Weapon of Choice on Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Johnny
Expert
Expert

City, State: Ucklum - Sweden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've often watched seagulls on the beach and thought they looked like a really strong bird.

Yeah, they do have a solid build.

One of the most common gulls are what we call trut.

I belive the US name is Herring Gull.

Its a pretty big bird and the largest target for airgunners here with a length of 24-26 inches and a wingspan around 60-70 inches.

A fullsize adult is around 1500 grams, about 3.50 lbs or half the weight of an air rifle - they do fall hard when shot.

Here it is so numerous today that it is a nuisance in some metropolitan areas and a potential hazard to aircraft near airports.

To take one of those down you will need accurate shot placement, a clean headshot is by far best but sometimes a well placed bodyshot can be very effective. I try to move close in about 30 yards and always use an accurate PCP with no less then 15 ft/lbs.

Shooting them at longer ranges, beyond 30-40 yards is rimfire territory.
I have a 10/22 and the Federal American Eagle HP works great for this task.

Twisted Evil

To be honest a bodyshot with a supersonic rimfire is the best way to take them down but in some angles I cant use the rimfire for safety reasons and then a PCP is the next best thing.

Quote:
Are you still planning on making the San Diego shoot?

Sorry, cant do that - I live across the pond in Scandinavia, Europe.

:wink:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index -> Airgun Equipment Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: